The subject of Anatomy is of the foundation of the knowledge of medical science. Anatomy is taught in Ist year of MBBS course over a span of 2 semesters. Knowledge of the human anatomy plays a crucial role in the pursuit of a medical education. The teaching is aimed at equipping students with knowledge for their clinical studies, thereby helping them to become competent and confident enough in their future professional endeavor.
The department currently has 10 qualified, dedicated teaching staff members and 9 efficient and compassionate non-teaching staff. Besides teaching, faculty is involved in various basic science researches.
The gross structure of the human body is taught through lectures, cadaver dissections, study of bones, prosected specimens, tutorials, quizzes, radiographs, charts and models. We maintain a small student-teacher ratio of 15:1 and ensure that all students receive personal attention.
Histology or microscopic anatomy is taught by lectures and practicals. The Histology Laboratory is well equipped with individual microscopes and a set of slides for each student. Colored, labeled photomicrographs are provided to aid the students in interpreting the more difficult slides. Here also we maintain the small student-teacher ratio.
There are around 383 books and 2 journals in the Department Library to enable us to keep updated with changes in the subject.
The museum displays cross sectional specimens, radiographs, skeletons of human and other vertebrates, radiographs and developmental anatomy models. The museum collection is laid out in sections
regional anatomy. Head and Neck, Thorax, Upper and Lower Limbs, Abdomen, Nervous system & Embryology Section.
Ours is one of the best museums in Maharashtra.
We have more than 170 charts, 402 radiographs, 507 museum specimens and 200 models to help with the teaching.
Departmental Activity 2015 :
Student Activity 03/09/2015 Communication skills
Student Activity-I 17/10/2015 Bioethics sensitization
Student Seminar 03/12/2015 Joints (movements) - Upper and Lower limbs
Bio-ethics Activity 05/03/2016 Organ Donation e-Poster presentation
Bio-ethics Activity 12/03/2016 Film Show- Anumati
Student Activity 16/04/2016 Abdomen & Pelvis Quiz
Integrated Seminar 25/04/2016 Renal System
Anatomy Museum (left) Small Group Teaching (right)
Histology Lab (left) & Dissection (right)
Awareness Activities 2016
Cadaveric oath: 10/10/16
First year MBBS students take a cadaveric oath before they start their academics in medical profession.
They pledge to respect the cadavers and treat it with dignity. And show respect & gratitude towards cadavers who will be their first teachers in Medical profession.
Organ donation awareness: 2/12/16
To create awareness amongst first year MBBS students, A movie "Anumati" was featured on 2/12/2016, which conveyed the importance and procedure of organ donation.
Student activities in 2016 - 2017 Bioethics activity - 21/10/16 Easy writing - My first day in dissection hall.
Student Seminar: 09/12/2016 Clinical aspects of Superior and Inferior extremity
Student Seminar: 09/02/2017 Head Neck and Face
Bioethics activity: 07/04/2017 Movie - Yellow.
Awareness Activities 2017
Organ donation awareness: 10/10/17 To create awareness amongst first year MBBS students, A movie "Phir Jindagi" was featured on 7/12/17, which conveyed the importance and procedure of organ donation.
Cadaveric oath: 07/12/17First year MBBS students take a cadaveric oath before they start their studies as medical students.
They pledge to respect the cadavers and treat it with dignity. And show respect & gratitude towards cadavers who will be their first teachers in Medical profession. Cadavers who will be their first teachers in Medical profession. And thank & pay gratitude towards the next of keen of the donor who has respected their wish of Body donation & to serve the society selflessly.
Student activities in 2017-2018 Student Activity: 19/09/2017 Bioethics- Essay writing My Experiences - of first day in dissection hall
Student Activity: 10/11/2017 Quiz : Superior and inferior Extremity quiz
Student Seminar: 04/12/2017 Student seminar: Thyroid gland
Student Seminar: 22/01/2018 Student seminar: Locomotion
Integrated Seminar 22/02/2018 Integrated student seminar: Thyroid gland
Student seminar - Thyroid gland .
Integrated student seminar- Thyroid gland
'CME' on "RESIPRATION" -A comprehensive approach Organized by Dept. of Anatomy & Physiology Date:- 22nd June 2018
Currently research is being done in gross anatomy, microscopic anatomy radiological anatomy. The work is supported by internal grants.
Ongoing research projects 2015-2017
1) Correlation of splenic dimensions with increasing age : An USG study - Dr. S. B. Vedpathak, Dr. S. M. Belsare and et-al
2) Effect of Socio-economic factors on teaching learning process in I year Newly admitted MBBS students - Dr. S. B. Vedpathak, Dr. D. S. Jadhav, Dr. S. M. Belsare
3) Variations of Median nerve in cadavers : Dr. S. A. Khake, Dr. D. K. Tom, Dr.S. M. Belsare
4) Preparation of dry bones from dissection hall cadavers (formalinized) Dr.S. M. Belsare, Dr. S. A. Khake
5) Cephalo faciometric measurements and its correlation to the BMI for adult Rural Population of Talegaon Maval region- Miss Joshi Aditi Shridhar and Dr. S. M. Belsare
6) Foetal dissection to study prevalence of developmental anomalies in Maval region- Dr. Sonali Khake, Dr. Vivek Nirmale and Dr. S. M. Belsare
7) Study of anatomical variation in extensor compartment forarm muscles- Dr. Sonali Khake, Dr. Vivek Nirmale and Dr. S. M. Belsare
8) Study of histogenesis of human foetal organs eg.- liver, spleen, thymus & lung : Dr. Sonali Khake, Dr. Vivek Nirmale, Dr. Shashank Vedpathak Dr. Dhanaji Jadhav and Dr. S.M. Belsare
Ongoing Completed and published research projects 2015-2017
1) Methods to learn human anatomy; perceptions of medical students paraclinical phases regarding cadavers dissection and other learning methods Int. J.of Research in medical sciences: 2016 July; 4(7) July 2016 Dr M M Mutalik Dr. S. M. Belsare
2) Review of body snatching to body donation Int J of Pharm Bio science 2015 6 (3), 13 428-39 July 2015 Dr M M Mutalik.
Distinctions in Anatomy :
1. Body donation awareness programmes
Integrating the knowledge of Anatomy with other pre-clinical and clinical subjects. Applying the knowledge of Anatomy with the newer investigation techniques. To have interactive workshops with other medical colleges. Updating the curriculum and examination pattern in the interest of students.